As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Photoshop is a comprehensive image-editing application that offers a wide range of features that enables you to perfect your image editing tasks without any hassle. One of these features is the zoom tool. We’ve discussed in detail how to zoom in on Photoshop, which is essential for most design projects.
How to Zoom In Photoshop
Far from what it sounds like, zooming on photoshop is pretty simple to get by, and you can do this by following a list of steps. However, while using this tool, it is essential to note that it works best on images that you’ve previously resized.
You can easily zoom a photo in photoshop by selecting the area where you want to zoom in and pressing Ctrl + 0 (zero) to activate the tool. Then you can move around the selected area using the arrow keys and scale down the image using the +/- buttons.
Since we’ve stated how you can easily do this, let’s discuss the different methods of zooming images in Photoshop.
Methods of Zooming in Photoshop
There are several ways to zoom an image on Photoshop. These methods vary depending on your photoshop version, computer model, and other technical factors. However, the most common is using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + (plus) and Ctrl + (-minus).
The other common and effective way that you can do this involves using your mouse and other keys to zoom in or out of an image. Here are a few different ways to use your mouse and keyboard for zooming on Photoshop:
1. Zooming With Your Mouse and a Keyboard
- Launch Photoshop on your computer
- Once it has displayed the home window, open the photo that you want to zoom
- Press down on the Ctrl key and drag your mouse left or right simultaneously.
- Doing this will either increase or decrease the size of the image from the point where your cursor is located
2. Zooming With the Quick Selection
- Open Photoshop on your computer
- Navigate to the tools panel at the top of your screen and select the rectangular marquee tool
- Then, click and drag inside the selection border to make the image larger or smaller.
- Release the click after enlarging or reducing the size of your selection
3. Using the Hand Tool
- Start by loading up photoshop on your computer
- Navigate to the top left corner of the screen and click on the hand icon to activate the tool
- Once selected, click on the tool again to ensure it’s active.
- To zoom in, hold down the CTRL button while dragging the cursor across the screen.
- To zoom out, release the CTRL button while dragging the mouse.
- Drag your cursor over the area you want to zoom in on and release it when you reach the desired magnification.
Note: If you want to move around the image, simply click and drag the mouse.
4. Using the Magnifying Tool to Zoom
To zoom out in photoshop using the magnifying tool, here’s a step of what to do:
- Press Ctrl, Alt, and 0 (zero) keys at the same time which displays a magnifying glass icon at the top right corner of the screen
- Click on this icon and drag it down to zoom out.
- To zoom back in again, click on the magnifying glass icon and drag up.
- If you want to zoom in even further, press Ctrl+Shift+I again.
- Then click on Zoom Out. Drag down to zoom out.
5. Using the Keyboard Shortcut To Zoom
This is the less intricate of all the steps, and you can do this in no time. To zoom in with your keyboard shortcut:
- First, open Photoshop on your computer
- After that, navigate to the “File” menu and select the image that you want to zoom
- Next, hold down on the CTRL key and press the “+” sign to zoom in on the image
- To zoom out further, keep the Control key depressed while pressing the minus sign (-)
Here’s what you need to do for you to use this method on a Mac computer: or CMD+D)
- Launch Photoshop on your Mac computer
- Go to the “File” option from the menu bar and select “Open” to locate your desired image
- Then, to zoom in, first press and hold the CMD key, and then press the plus sign (+) on your keyboard.
- To zoom out, hold down on the CMD key while pressing the minus sign (-)
How to Zoom on Photoshop Without Mouse
Although the steps discussed above are pretty effective for zooming on Photoshop, they all depend on one tool; your mouse. Is there any method you can use to zoom in on Photoshop even if you don’t readily have access to your mouse?
Below, we’ve discussed all you need to know about zooming on Photoshop without a mouse:
- Open Photoshop on your Computer
- Press Ctrl, Shift, and I key simultaneously.
- Next, choose the Zoom In option from the list of options displayed on the screen
How to Zoom In Photoshop Without Losing Resolution
If you’re pretty new to Photoshop, you might have made the mistake of zooming in or out too far while trying to edit an image. When this happens, it can change the dimensions of your image, causing it to lose its quality.
How do you zoom your image on Photoshop without the hassle of having to fix its resolution and restore its quality? Below, we’ve covered the steps you need to take to achieve this:
- First, click on the image you want to resize to access the Zoom tool.
- Use cursor tips to drag it closer or further away from your screen until you get the size you want
- To zoom in on your MAC, use the keyboard shortcut CMD and the plus key or the CTRL and key on your Windows computer
- Also, to zoom out, press the CMD and Minus key on your Mac or CTRL and Minus key on your windows
If the above step seems a bit too intricate, here’s an easier way to go about this:
- Open Photoshop on your computer
- Navigate to the Menu bar at the top of your screen and select the option titled Window
- From the list of options displayed, select the Zoom option
- Then, press the Ctrl, Shift, and E keys on a Windows or Command, Opt, and E key on a Mac
- Click on the Zoom tool
- Next. drag the cursor around the image
- After that, release the button, and you’re good to go
Note: when using this feature, drag the divider at the bottom of your screen so that it is in the center of your window.
How to Zoom In Photoshop CS6
Photoshop CS6 is the latest version of Adobe’s flagship photo editing software. It has several improvements over its previous versions. The biggest change is the introduction of a completely redesigned user interface (UI). In addition, the new UI makes it much faster to perform basic tasks.
If so, how do you zoom on to this new photoshop version without any hassle? Here are the steps of how to zoom on your Photoshop CS6 easily:
- Select the tool you want to use to zoom in/out.
- Click once on the area you want to zoom in on. Hold down the CTRL button (Windows) or the CMD button (Mac).
- Drag the mouse around the image until you have the desired effect.
- Release the mouse button to return to normal view.
The “Zoom” feature in Photoshop is essential as it allows you to obtain a more enlarged view of the images you’re working on. There are several options for zooming in Photoshop, which involves using the keyboard, a mouse, or some specific tools. We’ve discussed this extensively above.