As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The last thing you’d want as a photo editor is for the final image you edited to look unflattering. To avoid this, knowing how to flatten the stomach in Photoshop is essential, as this is one of the finishing touches you need to make your picture stunning.
- How to Flatten the Stomach in Photoshop
- Flattening the Stomach in Photoshop From the Sides
- How to Flatten the Stomach by Removing Belly Rolls in Photoshop
How to Flatten the Stomach in Photoshop
Undoubtedly, flattening the stomach of your subject is an essential skill in Photoshop that you need to master as fast as possible. Doing this is not as intricate as it sounds, and with just a few easy steps, you can give your image’s subject a slim stomach.
There are different ways of flattening the abdomen on Photoshop; these boil down to the type of effects you desire to achieve with it. Below, we have discussed extensively the methods you can use to remove a beer belly on Photoshop.
1: Prepare the Images for Edit
Transfer the images from your camera to your computer or scan the printed version of the image
2: Locate the Pictures That Need to Be Edited
- Load up Photoshop on your computer
- Navigate to the menu found at the top of your Photoshop windows and select the option titled “File”
- From the new pop-up menu displayed, choose the “Open” option to find the imported picture file or image folder
3: Find and Select the “Liquefy” Tool
- Navigate to the menu bar and click on it
- From the list of options displayed, choose the one titled “Filter,” which displays a drop-down menu
- From the new menu, select the “Liquify” button, which shows a new dialog box
4: Select the “Forward Warp” Tool
- From the dialog menu displayed after selecting the liquify tool, select another tool titled the “Forward Warp”
5: Select and Adjust the Brush Tool
- Navigate to the tool options at the right corner of the screen and select the “Brush” tool
- From the size slider displayed, adjust the brush size to about 600, which is ideal for this specific effect
6: Apply the Brush Tool
- Use the brush tool to start pushing inward the region of the belly that you want to reduce
- Repeat this step gradually to prevent applying this effect to other body parts
- Select the “Revert” to cancel the effect of the tool and start over again if you made a mistake
7: Locate the “Pucker” Tool and Select It
- Navigate to the toolbar at the left corner of the window and select it
- Adjust the size of the tool appropriately (to about 300 for this specific effect) from the effect menu displayed
- Apply this tool to erase lines and distortions from the belly area where you applied the brush tool
- Click “OK” to confirm these modifications on Photoshop
- Finally, save the edited photo to your computer
Flattening the Stomach in Photoshop From the Sides
Depending on the angle or position of your subject in an image, you might need to trim down the belly fat from the sides to achieve a uniform effect. Like the steps above, you can do this quickly and without hassle.
Here’s what you need to do to flatten the stomach of your subject from the sides in Photoshop:
On a Mac:
1: Prepare the Image for Edit
- Import all the images that you want to edit into Photoshop or transfer them from your camera to your computer
- Next, Open up Photoshop on your computer
2: Duplicate the Windows Layer on Photoshop
- After opening Photoshop, navigate to the “Windows” option and select it
- From the new menu displaying several options, select the panel titled “Layer” or press the F7 key to display this
- Then click the Cmd + J key to duplicate the existing windows layer
3: Select the “Liquefy” Tool
- Go to the menu bar at the top of the screen and select the “Filter” option
- From the dialogue menu displayed, click on the “Liquify” option or press Cmd + X to open this filter
4: Proceed to Flatten the Stomach From the Sides
- Navigate through the panels on the “Liquefy” filter and select the “Warp” tool or press on the W key
- Adjust the size of the “Warp brush” to measure at least twice the size of the side stomach that you want to edit
- Using the “Warp” tool, push the stomach side that you want to edit inward gradually
- Repeat the same step for the other side of the stomach if the subject is directly facing the camera.
On a Windows computer:
- Load up the Photoshop application on your Windows computer
- Transfer the image that you want to trim the stomach side into Photoshop
- Go to the “Windows” panel on the Photoshop dashboard and click on it
- From the list of panel options displayed, select the one titled “Layer” or click on F7
- Then, press the CTRL + J key to duplicate the current Photoshop windows that you’re working on
- Navigate to the menu bar above the screen and select the option called ‘Filter”, which displays a new pop-up menu
- Press CTRL + X to open the liquify filter or click on the option titled “Liquify” from the pop-up menu displayed
- Scroll through this filter options and select the “Warp” tool or simply click on the key W to do this
- When editing the side stomach, make sure the “Warp brush” is at least twice as broad as the region you’re editing
- Using the “Warp” tool, slowly move the side of the stomach you want to change inward.
- Apply the same effect to the other side of the belly of the subject
Note: You’re duplicating the image to avoid altering the original photograph. Using the duplicated layer, you will perform all of the necessary changes. Therefore, if anything goes wrong, you have the option to erase the duplicated layer and restore the image to its previous state.
How to Flatten the Stomach by Removing Belly Rolls in Photoshop
If the subject in your photo has a belly roll, you should ensure that you smoothen it out or reduce the visibility to make the subject’s belly appear slimmer. Doing this is a simple step that does not require applying any intricate effects.
Like the steps discussed above, removing belly rolls involves the “Liquefy” filter, as this is the ideal tool for correcting delicate body parts on any image. Here’s how to go about flattening the belly roll of any image on Photoshop:
- Upload the desired image with the belly rolls that you want to remove to your computer
- Navigate to the menu bar at the top of the screen and select the “File” option
- Then from the menu displayed, select “Open”
- Search for the uploaded photo from your list of files and open it
- Go to the menu bar at the top and select the “Filter” button
- From the filter options menu, choose the “Liquify” filter, which displays a preview of the current image that you’re editing
- From the toolbar on the left corner of the screen, click on the “Forward Warp” tool
- For this specific effect, reduce the brush to be at least two times as small as the belly area that you want to edit
- Using the brush tool, carefully push the belly roll of the subject inward to ensure a smooth edge
- Click on “OK to confirm these changes
- Then, save the edited image to your computer
Note: When using this tool, you want to avoid exaggerating the effect to the point where it may be easily seen. Besides, you must ensure that both sides of the roll have a symmetrical appearance.
Knowing how to reduce the belly size of your subject in Photoshop is a bonus skill you can master as quickly as possible. Using the steps above, you’ll be able to flatten the stomach from the front and sides of your subject without any hassle.