As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Having a handful of presets in Lightroom is a great way to streamline your editing process while getting consistent quality on every image. It is a custom filter which you can easily apply to photos with a click. How’s that possible? Let’s discuss how to upload presets to Lightroom.
- How to Upload Presets to Lightroom
- How to Install Presets on Lightroom Mobile
- Related Question
How to Upload Presets to Lightroom
Uploading a set of presets to Lightroom is way easier than it sounds. Depending on your device (e.g. MAC, Windows, or Mobile) and your current Photoshop version, there are several options for uploading your presets. Here are a few different ways to do that:
How to Install Presets on Lightroom CC
Installing presets to Lightroom CC on your Mac or Windows is not difficult. To do that, simply follow the steps discussed below:
- Download your desired Lightroom preset, which comes in a .zip file for all versions released after 2018
- Open Lightroom on your computer and select an image
- Navigate to the top menu and click on “File,” then select import profiles and resets
- Scroll to the folder titled”preset” and select the .zip file or an unzipped .xmp file
- To apply the preset, while editing, go to the right-hand side and select any desired preset
How to Install Presets on Lightroom Classic (Version 7.3 and After)
Installing presets on Lightroom 7.3 or newer versions is straightforward when you know how to go about it. These Lightroom versions come in a .xmp file format. Here are a few steps to install presets on your Mac or Windows computer:
- Download your chosen presets in a .zip file format
- Open Lightroom, go to the “Develop” module, then select “File” and click on “Import and develop profiles and presets” in the top menu
- Go to the folder titled “Presets” and select the .zip file or .xmp file, if it has already been unzipped
- All the download presets are in the “Preset” section on the left side of your dashboard
How to Install Presets in Lightroom 4,5,6 and Lightroom Classic (Version 7.2 and Before)
Installing presets on Lightroom 7.2 and some older versions is not as straightforward as installing Lightroom on newer versions because they do not come in .xmp format. Instead, they come in “lrtemplate” files. Below is a step-by-step guide for installing presets on these versions:
- Using the settings that you got after making your purchase, extract the ZIP file on your computer
- Launch Lightroom, select Preferences, and then select the Presets tab
- Select the “Show Lightroom Presets Folder” button
- Double-click the Develop Presets folder once you’ve clicked the Lightroom folder
- Copy the folder(s) into the Develop Presets folder
- Once Lightroom has restarted, you’re good to go!
How to Install Presets on Lightroom Mobile
There are two different methods of installing presets to your Lightroom mobile your e:
- Automatically sync your presets to Lightroom from your computer
- Install the presets directly from your mobile app
Let’s discuss these methods one after the other.
Method 1: Syncing Presets From Your Computer
This method is very straightforward and efficient for uploading Lightroom to your mobile device. To upload presets by syncing:
- Click File and select “Import Profiles & Presets” in the Lightroom on your computer
- Select the presets you want to import by navigating to the folder where they are located and click on “Import”
- When you click the Presets button in Edit mode after the preset has been imported, it will be shown in a folder called “User Presets”
- For Lightroom to sync the imported preset to the cloud and across your devices at this point, make sure you are signed in with the same Adobe ID on both the desktop and mobile apps
- Choose a photo to edit in Lightroom by opening it on your mobile device, then click “Presets” at the bottom
- To access more preset categories, tap the arrowhead below, then choose “User Presets”
- The preset that was imported into the desktop version of Lightroom can now be used in the mobile version
Method 2: Installing Presets Directly From Your Mobile App
While using this method, you don’t need to import any files from your computer to your mobile. Although it might take a little longer than syncing your presets via the cloud. Depending on whether you’re using an Android or IOS mobile, there are different ways to go about that.
Installing Presets to Your Android Mobile
First, you need to ensure that the latest version of Lightroom for android mobile is downloaded on your device. To do this, you need to visit the Google play store. To install presets to an android device, follow the steps discussed below:
- After making a purchase, download the.ZIP file that starts with “Mobile-Presets Android…”
- Select the “View Content” link in the confirmation email to easily access your downloads
- Pick an image from your library in the Lightroom app on your phone, then open it
- Click the “Presets” tab after swiping the toolbar
- To access the menu, click the three dots, then choose “Import Presets.” which opens up the File Explorer on your mobile
- To import the presets, go to the location on your phone where you stored the .ZIP file and select it. (If you cannot import the .ZIP file directly, use your phone’s File sorting app to extract the contents
- The “Presets” tab will display a new group containing your imported presets
Installing Presets to Your IOS Mobile
Before installing any Lightroom preset on your IOS, it is essential to download the latest version of Lightroom on your mobile via the App store. To install presets on your IOS mobile, below is a step-by-step guide for you to follow.
- After making a purchase, download the.ZIP file that starts with “Mobile-Presets IPhone”
- Then select the “View Content” link in the confirmation email to access your downloads instantly
- After downloading, open the “Files” app on your phone by clicking the download icon in the top right corner of your screen
- Click the downloaded file. A new folder should immediately appear after extracting the contents of the ZIP file
- On your iPhone, launch the Lightroom Mobile application
- To create a new “Folder,” select the “+” icon in your library, then open the new folder and give it the name “Presets”
- Select “Create New Album” and give the album a name that includes “DNG” and the downloaded presets (e.g. “Nightime Shots DNG”)
- Select all of the DNG files in the folder you extracted from the downloaded.ZIP file by going to the storage location
- Open the first DNG image, click the three-dot menu symbol to bring up the menu, and choose “Create Preset”
- Choose “Create New Preset Group” under “Preset Group” and give it the preset pack’s name
- Tools, details, optics, and geometry should be unchecked. Also, uncheck “Exposure” under the “Light” tab, and be sure to uncheck “White Balance” under the “Color” tab
- To create the preset, click the tick
- To create your presets from the other DNG files, repeat the same procedure above for creating presets
- When you’re done, locate the presets in the “Presets” panel
What Are the Benefits of Uploading Presets to Lightroom?
You might want to consider installing a preset in Lightroom for many reasons. Some of these reasons are creating a consistent editing style, streamlining the editing process, and making your images look more professional.
Using presets is a great way to increase your Lightroom efficiency editing speed. Uploading them to Lightroom can be challenging depending on your device and the Lightroom version you use. The steps above enable you to install presets on any device you use efficiently.