As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Canon Rebel T6 is a high-quality DSLR with an 18.0 megapixel CMOS sensor that allows you to capture images with an outstanding tonal range. However, the quality of the images primarily depends on the lenses you will use. So, what lenses are compatible with Canon Rebel T6?
- What Lenses Are Compatible With the Canon Rebel T6?
- What to Look For in the Canon Rebel T6 Compatible Lenses
- Related Questions
- Final Thoughts
What Lenses Are Compatible With the Canon Rebel T6?
The lenses compatible with the Canon Rebel T6 are Canon EF lenses such as the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF-S lenses such as the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6, and third-party compatible lenses such as the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. The Canon Rebel T6 is typically compatible with both EF-S and EF mounts due to its APS-C sensor size.
Regardless of the lens’s mount, compatible lenses can be telephoto prime, telephoto zoom, wide-angle zoom, wide-angle prime, or standard lenses. Depending on the lighting conditions and the field of view you want, you can use any of the following compatible lenses.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is one of the most versatile lenses you can pair with your Rebel T6. Since this lens is designed for full-frame cameras, it will give you an equivalent focal length of around 80mm when paired with the T6’s crop sensor.
This lens has a maximum wide aperture of f/1.8, making it ideal for shooting interior photos in low-light conditions. The lens comes with Canon’s advanced stepping motor autofocus mechanism that enhances near-silent and smooth autofocus performance.
Additionally, the lens elements come with the Super Spectra coating that helps reduce the ghosting and flare for enhanced color accuracy and contrast even when shooting in harshly lit conditions. However, without zoom capability, this lens is not the ideal choice for shooting distant subjects.
- 50 millimeter focal length and maximum aperture of f/1.8
- Great for portraits, action, and nighttime photography; Angle of view (horizontal, vertical,...
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 feet (0.35 meter) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6
The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is a versatile wide-angle zoom lens designed for APS-C cameras such as the Rebel T6. The short focal length allows you to shoot interior photos in tight spaces and capture wide-angle exterior and landscape photos.
This lens comes with an ultra-low dispersion element that helps combat chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved color fidelity and image clarity. Like the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, this lens comes with Super Spectra coating to help suppress flare when photographing in harsh lighting.
The lens also features an optical Image Stabilizer system that helps to reduce the camera tremors and vibrations to enhance image sharpness even when photographing handheld. However, the narrow f/4.5-5.6 aperture doesn’t perform well in poorly lit situations.
- EF S ultra wide zoom lens. Drive System Lead screw and rack system driven by stepping motor
- Focal Length and Maximum Aperture: 10 18 millimeter, 1:4.5; 5.6
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.72 feet. ; 0.22 meter
Sigma 85mm f/1.4
The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is one of the fastest third-party lenses you can pair with your T6. This lens has a maximum wide aperture of f/1.4, making it ideal for capturing interior photos in low-light conditions and shooting a moving subject with faster shutter speeds.
Additionally, the wide aperture helps achieve a shallow field depth and blur the background when using selective focus techniques. The 9-blade aperture diaphragm makes this lens ideal for shooting portraits and closeups with a beautiful bokeh quality effect.
The lens also comes with a Hyper Sonic Motor, making the autofocus performance quiet, smooth, and fast. This lens features metal and Thermally Stable Composite material construction, making it lightweight and durable. However, the long focal length might not be ideal for architectural and landscape photography.
- The Sigma 85mm 1.4 DG HSM Art is the latest addition to the world renowned Sigma Global Vision Line
- It has equipped newly designed hyper sonic motor (HSM) for nimble AF control, 1.3 times better...
- This lens is compatible with Mount converter MC-11 , so Sony E-mount users can also enjoy this lens...
What to Look For in the Canon Rebel T6 Compatible Lenses
Although there are many lenses compatible with the T6, their performances vary with focal length and aperture. Depending on the lighting conditions and subject distance, you can use the following tips to determine which lens you should pair with your T6.
- Aperture: Since the T6 sensor might not capture much light since it’s a crop-factor camera, you should go for a lens with a wide aperture such as the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 to facilitate more light to reach the sensor.
- Focal length: Considering that the T6 has a crop factor of around x1.6, you should consider what the lens’s equivalent focal length will be after pairing.
- Weight: Crop-factor cameras such as the T6 are generally compact and lightweight, and you will want a lightweight lens that won’t make the camera topple over after attaching.
How Can I Know Whether a Lens Will Be Compatible With My Canon Rebel T6?
The most straightforward way to know whether a lens will be compatible with your Rebel T6 is to check for the lens mount index on your T6’s front part. You can also check on the manual or Canon’s website.
Can I Use a Nikon Lens With My Canon Rebel T6?
Yes, it’s possible to mount Nikon F mount and G-type lenses on a Canon T6 as long as you have a Nikon to Canon lens adapter.
The Canon Rebel T6 is compatible with many Canon EF, Canon EF-S, and third-party lenses. However, the right lens will depend on your preference and shooting conditions. Usually, a wide aperture lens performs better with the T6 crop sensor as it allows more light to enter.